> On Aug 24, 2016, at 09:12, Lars Bergstrom <larsb...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
> Currently, the GitHub Servo repository has 134,062 files... 131,477 of
> which are in the tests/ directory. Of those, 102,871 are in the CSS WG
> tests. I know it's not a perfect measure, but that's also 862megs of
> the 1.132gb of disk space usage reported by `du` on macOS for a Servo
> checkout.
>
> So, I'd like to have a discussion to see if there's something we can
> do here to reduce the number of files. There are two reasons this has
> come up:
> - If we do end up "copying" the Servo GitHub repository into the
> Mozilla monorepo, unfortunately mercurial cannot scale to that number
> of files (though there is work going on at Facebook to make it able to
> do so in the next year or two).

Mercurial can scale to that many files. It's just my strong preference
to avoid repo bloat in all dimensions (commit count, repo size, file
count, head checkout size, etc) because it adds overhead to numerous
systems and processes. There are mitigations for many of these scaling
vectors. However, I'm trying to not press the issue.

> Plus, the non-CSS WG tests in the WPT
> directory are duplicate with those already in m-c.
> - That's a lot of disk space, and might not be needed for new
> contributors who working on anything other than layout features.
>
> There are a few options I can see here (apart from "do nothing"):
> 1) Reduce the duplication in the CSS WG tests. A lot of it is due to
> the build system. How small could we get it? Similar to WPT (i.e., 10x
> fewer files)?
> 2) Break out the CSS WG and WPT tests into a separate location, to be
> downloaded as-needed. If we do this, though, what is the workflow for
> adding, deleting, or correcting a test? And is it still just as easy
> to run a single test? Jamming it in a crate will leave it in a wonky
> directory (e.g., target/debug/build/csswg-7062634bbf237306/output)
> that is not exactly awesome for viewing & running tests from.
>
> Any opinions or other ideas here?

I chatted with James Graham about this on Monday and he said there is
upstream work to improve the CSS WPT tests. Part of that would be
removing the redundant versions of the same test/file, which would
drastically reduce file count.

One thing is for certain, we'll want mozilla-central and servo to
eventually point to the same copy of WPT files. At least one of us
will need to teach our systems to look for these files in an alternate
location. Since Servo is currently looking for CSS WPT tests and since
mozilla-central likely won't import them until they are in better
shape, I think that puts the burden on Servo?