On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Olaf Buddenhagen
<olafbuddenha...@gmx.net> wrote:
> As a spare time outside contributor, it has become pretty much
> impossible for me to stay informed of what's happening in Servo land,
> since the meetings (and thus the meeting notes) have been cancelled;
> while few things are going over the mailing list; and the traffic on IRC
> is impossible to keep up with for anyone but full-time contributors.
>
> I have been reading the status updates for a while, but ultimately gave
> up on it, because many developers do not update them (regularily) at
> all; while some others provide a detailed changelog rather than a
> higher-level overview, making it very boring to read; and also, these
> updates mostly just tell what happened in the past, not what's brewing
> right now...
>
> Summing up, some way to stay in touch with ongoing/upcoming developments
> would be great -- but I'm not sure the status updates in their present
> form are very helpful in this regard.
>
> TWiS is somewhat useful with its nice high-level changelog -- but again,
> nothing about stuff in the works...

Thanks for the feedback! This is something I care a lot about. Are you
saying that you'd like to see something between
https://github.com/servo/servo/wiki/Roadmap, which gives what people
are working on for the rest of the quarter, and the "next week"
section of the status reporting?

Or are you saying that part of the problem is that we're not really
capturing the "next week" details well enough so that, e.g., you know
that Vlad's going to be looking into ipc-channel Windows support and
might need your feedback?
- Lars

BTW, I am full-time and I can't keep up with the IRC channel either.
And I (we) shouldn't! If IRC becomes a substitute for GitHub issues
and the mailing list, then it will crowd out both volunteers and
contributors who are not in the "right" timezone. I try to make sure
that people don't make *decisions* on IRC, as that's a pretty nasty
community anti-pattern, but I'm sure I've done it myself and should
definitely be called out when I do that.