At the moment, Servo does not use incremental compilation by default. You can enable it by copying servobuild.example to .servobuild in your clone of the repository and setting "incremental = true" in the [build] section.

If you’ve done this, **you probably want to reverse it** for a while. Incremental compilation in rustc is being rewritten and there are large compiler performance regression when it’s enabled. These are visible as the big increases on http://perf.rust-lang.org/

We’ve updated Servo two days ago to use a Rust Nightly version with these regressions. I’ve measured component/script take ~5x as long to compile as with incremental disabled.

I hear that these regressions should be fixed in the next few weeks as the rewrite settles down in the compiler, and hopefully the new approach can eventually give significantly better perf than before.

This talk by Niko explains the new query-based approach for compiler internals:

https://skillsmatter.com/skillscasts/10868-inside-the-rust-compiler

--
Simon Sapin