Re-read my initial post, and I asked the wrong question.  It was written in
haste, my apologies.  Let me clarify...

We're actually not looking to replace the SSL engine in Firefox, but just
use a different crypto provider (I was thinking OpenSSL crypto "engine" when
I wrote the message).  We're developing a hardware device similar to a
crypto accelerator and, when it is installed on the local machine, we would
like all SSL-related crypto routines in Firefox to be redirected to our
device.

My hardware developers tell me this could be quite cumbersome if we're not
implementing the full PKCS#11 interface.  I'm just looking to find out
whether it can be done without implementing all the authentication features
of PKCS#11.

Thanks,
Dan
LDE Global Innovations, Inc.