Nelson,

Thanks for the great reply!  This gives me a much better idea of the
behavior of the code :)

I erroneously assumed the connection between SECWouldBlock and
PR_WOULD_BLOCK_ERROR (I read the notes.txt file a while ago...).  Also,
a function in the NSS code would in some cases check if a returned
result is SECWouldBlock and, if so, would set PR_WOULD_BLOCK_ERROR
code.  I guess SECWouldBlock would imply PR_WOULD_BLOCK_ERROR, but the
converse is not true.

It also helped to know the SSL layer offers the same semantics as the
underlying NSPR socket - if the NSPR socket is non-blocking, SSL would
also offer non-blocking semantics. I.e. if the server_hello message
doesn't arrive when the handshake attempts to gather it, the SSL
handshake doesn't block on waiting for it, but returns failure and
PR_WOULD_BLOCK_ERROR as the error code.

Thanks again :)

Regards,
Peter