Wolfgang Eibner wrote:
"dolphinling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Wolfgang Eibner wrote:
Hi!

I would like to have an Firefox (Portable) started from a CD and showing HTML files from the CD. The html files on the cd should be encrypted because so the can't be copied from the CD easily.
If you try this, someone could just do File->save from and it would be saved unencrypted...

I think it wouldn't be as difficult to disable this as my main issue. Basically the problem can be stripped down to loading encrypted files from a local filesystem (a cd). It doesn't have to be https...
Just to get this straight:

1. You have a CD with *encrypted* content (the content is already encrypted on the CD). 2. You wish to browse to that content using the file:// url to read the content. 3. The content is encrypted for a particular user based on a certificate that user already holds.

If all three of these holds true, then you can accomplish this goal without changes to firefox. Simply wrap your html message in mime headers and encode them with cms (S/MIME). You will need the certificate of the user or users you are encrypting to to make the content. You will need to make sure your CD content maps the the mime type application/x-pkcs7-mime. I believe firefox recognizes this mime-type (since it shares this part of the code with thunderbird).

NOTE: the user will be able to use his keys and other tools to access the encrypted content, and I suspect decrypted versions of the content will appear in the cache. I believe Save As... will save the original encrypted content, Print will print the decrypted content. All bets are off if you try to open the content with a Composer.

bob
Thanks,
Wolfgang