Hello,

To enable the SSL debugging statements, you need to set the SSLTRACE
environment variable.  Possible values are 0-60 (0=no dubugging,
60=lots)

If this doesn't work for you (I suppose it depends on your embedding
environment), you can place PR_LOG statements within the NSS's SSL
code.  To get these debugging statements enabled, you need to set
NSPR_LOG_MODULES environment variable.  If you can't display the
debugging output to standard output or the equivalent, you need to set
the NSPR_LOG_FILE environment variable.  This will output the
debugging statements into a file of your choosing.

To enable any PR_LOG debugging , I believe you also need to have
compiled Firefox as a debug build:

./configure --enable-debug --enable-debug-modules --enable-debugger-
info-modules.  I know this sucks, given how much time Firefox takes to
recompile.

IMHO, this is ~~confusing~~.  We are using one debugging mechanism to
print out statements within NSS and another one within the rest of
NSPR/Mozilla.  What's more, the two mechanism don't even provide the
same functionality - the NSS debugging macros allow you to display
buffer contents, while the NSPR ones don't.  The NSPR mechanisms allow
you to output to a file instead of standard output, while the NSS ones
don't.

Can we simplify this whole thing?  Can we get rid of SSLTRACE,
PRINT_BUF and SSL_TRACE altogether and use PR_LOG and the related NSPR
macros within NSS, too?  For this purpose, we would need to enhance
the NSPR debugging macros with something equivalent to NSS's
PRINT_BUF.  If we do this, I think we will achieve uniformity with
what's used in other Mozilla modules and we will also allow NSS users
to pipe their debugging statements into a file (which I think it quite
useful when stdout is not available - e.g. embedded apps)

Given this, we can also write a nice documentation module on
"debugging NSS" in the NSS documentation wiki that Wan-Teh maintains.

What do you all think about that?

Regards,
Peter Djalaliev