What do I want?

I want a use-case which expresses why the certificate validation
policies (as implemented by NSS) must be so draconian.

I want a use-case which expresses, clearly, why certificate validation
problems have to be modal and completely disrupt the user's workflow.

I want a use-case which expresses why certificates from unknown CAs
have to show up as certificate validation errors in situations where
there are no forms to harvest private information.  (why not a
'pop-up' of "we don't know that this site is who it says it is, but
we're letting you browse it anyway' -- which shows up on all pages
under that certificate for the duration of the session, rather than
just once at the beginning with no continual reinforcement?)

I want a user interface which allows me -- at a minimum -- to see what
CA signed a given certificate, how that CA is in my store (whether it
was provided by Mozilla or the administrator or through my own
action), the subject of the certificate, and the validity period of
the certificate without having to click on "more information" and then
scroll through the byzantine hierarchy of certificate fields.

I want a policy in place which prevents situations such as the
transition from Thawte CPS version 1 (which did not allow for
domain-validated certificates) to Thawte CPS version 2 (which did
allow for domain-validated certificates) without a new CA being
created and vetted.

I want, frankly, more transparency and usability from the software.
And I want less pseudo-militaristic enforcement of the concept that
CAs can get away with murder as long as they document what they're
doing.

-Kyle H