At 12:54 PM -0700 6/6/08, Nelson B Bolyard wrote:
>I recall a long discussion on this list in which certain people observed
>(or opined) that the cert path validation algorithm defined in RFC 3280
>has the characteristics you describe above.  That is, the claim was made
>that RFC 3280's algorithm does not require a trust anchor to be anything
>more than a public key, and does not impose any checks on it for validity
>dates, key usages, extended keys usages, name constraints, etc. etc.

This is correct, I opine.

>In other words, the claim was that RFC 3280 considers a trust anchor to
>be absolutely trusted in all respects for all purposes at all times.

These "other words" are not correct, I opine. RFC 3280, and now RFC
5280, explicitly allow for limits on the trust, such as name
constraints.

>(Put another way, the criteria for selection of a trust anchor are outside
>the scope of the algorithms defined in RFC 3280, and any such criteria
>have already been applied to the trust anchor before the algorithm defined
>in RFC 3280 begins.)

Also, not correct, I opine.

What I believe 3280/5280 say is that the metadata in the trust anchor
certificate itself are not themselves part of the path processing.
Instead, a trust anchor has metadata that the process doing the path
processing assigns to the trust anchor. That could come from metadata
that is in the cert (if it is a cert), or it can be outside. The fact
that a trust anchor might be loaded in the form of a certificate is
not inherently interesting to path processing.