A couple alternatives to what you are currently trying:

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/security/enhancements
.html says:
# Access Network Security Services (NSS) using SunPKCS11

The SunPKCS11 provider supports new configuration directives which allow
it to access the NSS security library. This enables Java applications to
read keys stored in the NSS database files, use ECC algorithms, and to
use the NSS Softtoken as a FIPS 140 compliant cryptography provider. For
more information see the NSS section in the PKCS#11 guide.

# FIPS 140 compliance for SunJSSE

The SunJSSE provider now supports an experimental FIPS 140 compliant
mode. When enabled and used in combination with the SunPKCS11 provider
and an appropriate FIPS 140 certified PKCS#11 token, SunJSSE is FIPS 140
compliant. For details, see the JSSE Reference Guide.

The "NSS section in the PKCS#11 guide:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/security/p11guide.htm
l#NSS

So use NSS 3.11.4 which is FIPS certified directly via SunPKCS11 rather
than JSS.

Or, if you can use Java 1.4.2, you can use IBM's FIPS certified JSSE/JCE
provider:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/security/142/FIPShowto.html