At 5:28 PM -0700 9/9/08, Wan-Teh Chang wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Paul Hoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>  I nuked mozilla/* and used the two cvs commands above. The make
>>now ends with:
>>
>>  /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lnssutil3
>>  gmake[3]: ***
>>  [FreeBSD7.0_DBG.OBJ/FreeBSD_SINGLE_SHLIB/libfreebl3.so.1.0] Error 1
>>  gmake[3]: Leaving directory
>>  `/usr/home/phoffman/NSS-312/mozilla/security/nss/lib/freebl'
>
>This is the same problem.  We need to track this down.
>
>http://mxr.mozilla.org/security/source/security/coreconf/FreeBSD.mk#68
>
>68 MOZ_OBJFORMAT           := $(shell test -x /usr/bin/objformat &&
>/usr/bin/objformat || echo elf)
>69
>70 ifeq ($(MOZ_OBJFORMAT),elf)
>71 DLL_SUFFIX              = so
>72 else
>73 DLL_SUFFIX              = so.1.0
>74 endif
>
>Let's focus on line 68.  On your FreeBSD 7.0 system, /usr/bin/objformat
>doesn't exist.  So we expect that in line 68, "test -x /usr/bin/objformat"
>should fail, and therefore we short-circuit "&& /usr/bin/objformat" and
>execute "echo elf".  But this is not happening.

I'm not sure why the "echo elf" is not happening. However, changing
line 68 to read "MOZ_OBJFORMAT := elf" causes everything to build
just fine.

FWIW, the man page for objformat on FreeBSD 6.3 says:

==========
DESCRIPTION
      This program is obsolete and is now just a compatibility stub.

      It reports the object file format as ``elf''.

HISTORY
      The objformat command appeared in FreeBSD 3.0.

      The objformat program was deprecated in FreeBSD 4.0 and reduced to a com-
      patibility stub in FreeBSD 5.0.  It will be completely removed before the
      next release.

That says to me that you can do the replacement I did above with
complete impunity in a future version of NSS. Do you need me to
submit a bug report for this or do you want to do it yourself?

>I don't have a FreeBSD system, so I tested this makefile fragment
>on Linux, and it works.

Let me know if you need access to one. OTOH, if you have a virtual
server somewhere, FreeBSD installs just fine and is quite easy to set
up.