My apologies for having gone silent for a while; with Mark Surman (the
new Mozilla Foundation executive director) coming on board I've been
busy helping him get started and taking care of related
responsibilities. However I now have more time, and I'm going to be
devoting it to getting more CA request processed.

Right now we have over 40 CA requests in the queue. After thinking about
it, I have decided that the best way to proceed is to have a published
schedule for when we will look at each of these requests. This will
provide some predictability for the CAs, give us deadlines we can work
toward, and allow us to be held accountable for meeting those deadlines.
I've published an initial version of such a schedule at:

   https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:Schedule

There are some additional points worth commenting on:

* I'm going to try for one CA request processed per week, which means
that at any given time we'll have two CAs in public comment periods. We
can revise the schedule later if it turns out that we can process
requests faster than one per week, or if it turns out that we need more
time for particular CAs.

* Right now I have the public comment periods starting on Mondays. If
people would prefer the comment periods to start on other days I'm open
to changing this. (For example, another option would be to start comment
  periods on Friday, for people who like to look at these over the weekend.)

* I am no longer going to try to coordinate CA evaluations with the
Firefox release schedule, at least not explicitly. It was just too
difficult, especially when code freeze dates kept changing. If for some
reason we'd like to get a particular CA's request processed for a
particulare Firefox release, we can just revise the schedule to put the
CA into an earlier slot.

* The current schedule has only two CAs scheduled. I will add more CAs
to the schedule as I figure out what the state of their requests is, and
whether and when they're ready to go into the public comment phase.

If you have any questions or comments about this please let me know.

Frank

--
Frank Hecker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]