On 081014 at 23:45, Ian G wrote:
> > No.  There are no plans to include any PSK cipher suites in NSS.
> > Because of the enormous potential for PSK cipher suites to be misused by
> > application developers, there is strong resistance to incorporating them
> > into NSS.
>
> Nelson, I'm fascinated by this:  what can PSK have done that would
> be so ... misusable?

PSK authentication often expects to have a key with high entropy.

This is often not the case when these keys are chosen, entered, or even
just transmitted by humans.

> People in the apps security field hold out high hopes for TLS-PSK as
> a great aid for phishing;  it would be a shame of that didn't happen
> (not to mention, confusing...)

I'm not familiar with TLS-PSK, but a short read tells me that it is not
intended for password-authentication and does not provide protection
against buteforce/dictionary attacks.

The protocol may(i didn't check this, may depend on ciphersuite
details) thus even be less secure then normal ssl+http authentication
because a simple traffic dump of the key exchange may allow an attacker
to offline-bruteforce the user password.

The RFC tells people to have a look at SRP for this issue. I agree. :-)

/steffen
--
Chair for System Security               mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ruhr-University Bochum                  phone:  +49 (0)234 32 29177