Frank:

The Wisekey case could be where we might draw the line. Provided that

- there is a *good compelling reason* for using sub-ordinate certificates in first place, limited to the domains under the control of the owner (via name-constraints) and with reasonable controls in place (like annual site visits, proper CA key generation, distribution and storage); - name constraints in certificates are working as expected with NSS and Mozilla software *; - reasonable verifications are performed of the sub-ordinate certificate owner;

I tend to suggest to exclude the audit requirement for this specific case. It should however represent the line between the other cases.

* One thing I'm not sure about is concerning S/MIME certificates and their verification requirements. And do name-constraints work with S/MIME?

Kevin (from Wisekey):

Why is a sub-ordinate CA certificate needed for this product, if it's limited to a certain set of domain names? Can't the same be achieved by simply issuing from a general sub CA under the control of the parent CA? What are the differences for the customer (I mean, it doesn't really matter if a site certificate or email certificate is issued from a sub CA under the control of the parent CA or from a different sub CA under the control of the owner. In the end of the day there may be only a certain set of domain names for the same set of web sites)?

Nelson:

Do name-constraints work as expected with NSS and Firefox/Thunderbird etc.? I didn't had a chance to test this ever...Are there some test cases with correctly and wrongfully issued certificate which would demonstrate the correct functioning? What about S/MIME certificates?

Signer: Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.
Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Blog:   https://blog.startcom.org