Anders Rundgren wrote:
The following is related to the S/MIME discussions.

If we (security experts) want to create anything that could match closed networks such as Skype, having 100M+ users enjoying full end-2-end-security, I think we need to be a bit pragmatic and not hoping that users should be extremely interested in certificates, or that the UN should provide us with a universal root certificate.

I see this as an interesting question. There are pros and cons. First con; why would we want to do that? Just use Skype. Or, Nelson talked about AIM having some form of crypto. Also Jabber has something.

In contrast to that, one of the things that Mozilla Messaging should be looking at is exactly that. The comparisons between email and chat are strong if not perfect, and while old things like email aren't likely to die any time soon (telegrams just got shutdown last year!), all new interesting work is being done in the peer2peer domain.

So an obvious thing is to add chat to Tbird. How to do this? An interesting question. However, this is a business-level requirement, not a user-level or tech-level comment.

Each domain (host) have a "pseudo-CA" using a commercial-grade SSL certificate as a CA certificate. Certificates created by such a CA should have a specific DN format (in order to be valid), where the host-name of course must be a core component (you can only certify things in your own domain).

The problem I see here is that you are (all) starting from a tech pov. Bottom up. What's the point of that? Granted, it will work in theory, but the market has shown that successful things start from a top-down, market focus, they win out in the end.

So, I would suggest defining what the chat system is that users of say Tbird would want. (Or Firefox.) Then, once you've figured that out, start meeting those requirements.

Alternatively, if you do want to take a tool -- "I have a cert" -- and wish to thrust it down people's throats, then you are reducing your chances to essentially lottery proportions. You have to be right about things you aren't looking at and don't know exist, and users have no difficulty in ditching tools that are too cumbersome.

Based on such a trust infrastructure, an on-line-based secure messaging system should be able to achieve Skype-level scalability while still being fully distributed. I haven't really gotten down to the nitty-gritty with the messaging itself, because a system like this obviously requires a bunch of other hot-shots as well :-)

So from this, I gather you want: scalability + distribution. Do you want no center(s) at all?

Enrolment issues? Skype does this without the user having to know what a certificate is.

I sense an easy enrolment process.  OK, I agree with that.

Applications include all kinds of interactive communication with mobile phones as a really interesting target unless it gets outlawed.

Mobile phones -> strange messaging formats like SMS. Avoid Internet assumptions like TCP/IP, make it strictly messaging. Well, ok, any chat system should have done that anyway. But this is getting too deep.

Do you want file-sharing? Do you want video? These are both common with modern day chat, and they strain the architecture depending on what choices you made. Do you want integration into other things? E.g., if you ended up piggybacking on some p2p networks, you might end up with file-sharing and backup possibilities.

Do you want to have:

   no originated authentication (leave it to the users)
   an upgrade path to third party auth (aka CAs)
   third party auth form the start?

It depends on your user base I would guess. If we are talking ordinary mom & pop, they are happy with whatever works immediately, so the first. If we are talking corporates, sometimes they want authentication from a third party, and sometimes they want it from a first party (themselves).

just some thoughts!

iang