Anders Rundgren wrote:
That there should be as you claim mainly a "UI problem" is an opinion
that has some support in the literature ("Jonny can't encrypt"),
but I feel that it is much deeper than that; security should probably
as in the case of Skype be transparent, not needing any UI at all.
I start Skype and that's about it.

In the absence of further technical details about Skype I believe it's probably symmetric encryption based on shared secrets derived from user passwords similar to Kerberos. The main disadvantage and difference to S/MIME with X.509-PKI is that you need online network access to a central infrastructure to make use of it. That's ok for a phone application or instant messenger but not necessarily for e-mail. (I already pointed this out but you ignored it.)

Ciao, Michael.