Kyle Hamilton wrote:
Eddy's gone ahead and sent a signed PDF, according to a later message
in-thread.  I expect that it'll work without a hitch, though I would
like to hear of any anomalous behavior. :)

It did indeed work without problems. I was able to read the document successfully with a variety of PDF viewers (Adobe Reader 9 on OS X, Preview on OS X, and Evince on Ubuntu and Red Hat). However the signature could actually be verified only using Acrobat Reader; the other viewers apparently don't have digsig capabilities. (Is this present in any PDF viewers other than Adobe's?)

Also, for reference, in order to verify the signature I had to do the following:

1. Get the root CA cert for Startcom, because Eddy (of course) was using a Startcom-issued certificate to do the signing. (As mentioned previously, the only root pre-loaded into Adobe Reader is Adobe's.)

2. Import the root cert into Adobe Reader. On the Mac this is done using the "Manage Trusted Identities..." menu item on the "Document" menu. Then you have to click the "Add Contacts" button (which I found somewhat confusing) and then the "Browse..." button to find the cert.

3. Mark the root as a trusted root. This is done from the "Manage Trusted Indenties..." dialog by selecting "Certificates" from the "Display" popup menu, selecting the cert, and then clicking "Edit Trust..." and then check the "Use this certificate as a trusted root" checkbox.

4. You also have to check the "Certified documents" checkbox. (In the "If signature validation succeeds, trust this certificate for..." section.) I found this a bit confusing as well; I don't know what the distinction between "signed documents" and "certified documents" means in the context of Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader, and I've asked Eddy to provide more information on this.

At this point you should be able to open the documents on Eddy's site at

  https://www.startssl.com/?app=26

with Adobe Reader and open the "signature panel" to verify the signature.

You can apparently create signed PDF documents using Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard; Eddy says there are free signing utilities than be used also, but I don't have references for those right now.

Why does everything have to have an explicit 'threat model' before
cryptography can be applied?

Well, it doesn't necessarily. My concern in this case had more to do with justifying any extra work that might be involved on our end in terms of getting the documents signed; I was also concerned that signng might mess up reading the documents on non-Adobe software (a concern that turned out to be misplaced).

Frank

--
Frank Hecker
hec...@mozillafoundation.org