You're failing to recognize one thing: if a Growl-like notification
came up whenever my browser established a TLS session, describing
"This certificate is said to belong to <subject>.  The one who's
saying it is <Issuer>.  BEWARE: this issuer is NOT audited to
financial services standards, do NOT put in your credit card or other
financial information"... well, I'd be able to see it, know about it,
and react to it appropriately.

In fact, this could easily take the place of the "unknown_issuer" and
"issuer_not_trusted" errors.  (Really, what are we saying there?  We
don't know/trust the issuer to keep our financial information secure.
Why are we bundling 'financial security' with 'any security'?)

As for "We aren't really purposing SSL to "just ecommerce" as far as I
know..." -- that's a load of baloney.  When you look at the history
(Netscape partnering with Verisign to provide the lock icon *in order
to promote trust in ecommerce* -- remember, this was back just after
the Commercial Internet eXchange started, and began taking traffic off
of the entirely non-commercial NSFnet), and you look at the fact that
every audit requirement that the Mozilla Foundation is willing to
accept is based on either the ANSI X9 standards for financial-services
certification authorities, the WebTrust standards for the same, or the
ETSI standards which are designed to enable the issuance of Qualified
Certificates...

...every single one of these standards is for *financial services*.

I honestly don't believe that it should be limited to financial
services (including due diligence related to providing financial
instruments including credit card numbers over the net between the
cardholder and the merchant).  But, that's what we currently have,
because the inertia is so entrenched that nobody has ever been able to
convince the browser vendors that it might even remotely be a good
idea.

(in fact, it wasn't until a LOT of people got infuriated at Netscape
over the Verisign tax that other CAs were even allowed into the
program -- but every one of them was vetted to the same extent
Verisign was.  Now, Mozilla, as the direct descendant of that code
base and mentality, has kept the same thing.)

-Kyle H