On 30.12.2008 20:51, Frank Hecker wrote:
Ben Bucksch wrote:

"not intended for ... e-commerce. ... the certificates carry no warranty"
Ben, this is a pretty common disclaimer that CAs (including CAs other than Comodo, I believe) make for DV certs (i.e., certs for which only the domain control is validated).

Note that Comodo's "InstantSSL", while not DV, is not their high-value cert either. It seems to be mostly automatic validation. But it does carry the "intended for e-commerce" and not that "no warranty" black-mark as PositiveSSl does.

With these low and alarming definitions (and consequent lack of processes and audit, presumably), they should never have been allowed for browser roots. The assessment of the CA itself, and mine in my post, still stand.

Browsers do not differentiate. Users can not differentiate. All certs *are* used for e-commerce.

all e-commerce sites should consider upgrading to EV certs. The market for DV certs is people like me

FWIW, Amazon does not use EV, neither Societe Generale nor another bank I checked. Also, I don't think we can train 100% of users to check for green in the next 3 years. 1% of users not differentiating/knowing this is enough for phishers. I don't think EV is the solution in this case, unless we completely degrade all normal certs to non-secure state. What I propose is to do that with certs which provide no assurances, not even on paper.

We support DV certs in browsers for that market.

Problem is: It's not even a DV cert. And I don't believe them that they rectified the situation. Only when they have a number of RA significantly smaller than 10 and all audited. It's useless to mandate an audit for the CA, if the critical functions are not done by the CA.