Ian G wrote:
> A tightly closed membership, oriented to CAs in their chosen segment. As
> CAs, they incline towards including two other groups, being the upstream
> audit organisations who provide the WebTrust, and the downstream
> browsers who consume the WebTrust.

Which is not unexpected. A group concerned with CA certificates will
have members who provide the certificates, and members who consume them.
(Browser vendors - they use them to provide trust indicators or other
user interface to their users.)

> However, they include no other stakeholder groups.  Of especial concern,
> nobody who speaks for the end-user, even though they clearly intend as a
> group to sell to these end-users.

Certainly not selling "as a group" - several CAs are very touchy about
anti-trust. :-)

We (the browser vendors) like to think we speak for the end users.

> Given such a structure, it is hard to see how they can avoid the fate of
> protecting the franchise.  Although I'm sure they do careful work in
> documenting the current thinking, it is not reasonable to expect them to
> do new thinking and to think about the new threat environment, nor to
> resist the trap of increasing work loads and complexity, and reducing
> availability and delivered security.

I am having trouble extracting meaning from that last sentence.

Gerv