Paul,

Paul Hoffman wrote:

It seems to me also that a self-signed certificate marked as a trust anchor,
ie. a root, probably shouldn't have an AIA extension.

Wait. No kind of certificate is marked as a trust anchor. I assume you probably me
"root" as in a self-signed cert with the CA bit turned on.

I meant marked as a trust anchor in the NSS certificate database.

At least it wouldn't make much sense for it to point to any OCSP responder,
since the root cannot revoke itself - there is no one above the root to revoke
it.

Correct, but don't forget that the AIA has two uses. It is quite reasonable for
a root to have an AIA extension with id-ad-caIssuers.

I am aware of that, but I was thinking about it in the context of OCSP only.

Perhaps these are not really roots .

Tell that to VeriSign. Here is the dump of the extensions take from their cert
taken from the Firefox root pile:

        X509v3 extensions:
            X509v3 Basic Constraints:
                CA:FALSE
            X509v3 Subject Key Identifier:
                F1:5A:89:93:55:47:4B:BA:51:F5:4E:E0:CB:16:55:F4:D7:CC:38:67
            X509v3 Key Usage:
                Digital Signature, Key Encipherment
            X509v3 CRL Distribution Points:
                URI:http://EVIntl-crl.verisign.com/EVIntl2006.crl

            X509v3 Certificate Policies:
                Policy: 2.16.840.1.113733.1.7.23.6
                  CPS: https://www.verisign.com/rpa

            X509v3 Extended Key Usage:
                TLS Web Server Authentication, TLS Web Client Authentication,
Netscape Server Gated Crypto, Microsoft Server Gated Crypto
            X509v3 Authority Key Identifier:

keyid:4E:43:C8:1D:76:EF:37:53:7A:4F:F2:58:6F:94:F3:38:E2:D5:BD:DF

            Authority Information Access:
                OCSP - URI:http://EVIntl-ocsp.verisign.com
                CA Issuers - URI:http://EVIntl-aia.verisign.com/EVIntl2006.cer

            1.3.6.1.5.5.7.1.12:

0_.].[0Y0W0U..image/gif0!0.0...+..............k...j.H.,{..0%.#http://logo.verisign.com/vslogo.gif

What was the subject and issuer for that certificate ? Was it self-issued ?