There are many.  You are probably looking for either a USB token that
supports PKCS#11, such as the Aladdin eToken, or a smart card (with
its associated reader).

StartCom is an official reseller for Aladdin, and the CTO of the
company (which also operates a commercial CA) maintains an active
presence on this list.

As for how to use it with Firefox, you need to use modtool to add the
token's PKCS#11 module to the list of modules that Firefox will use.
(You could possibly also use a second instance of the software
certificate token, to point to a centralized system database of
certificates -- but I have not actually tried this configuration.)

-Kyle H

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Denis McCarthy
<dmccar...@annadaletech.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion David. Unfortunately we are not connecting
> to an active directory domain - our application has to go out over the
> internet. I did a bit of fiddling with the certificates snap ins, but
> Microsoft only makes certificates installed in the user account
> available to IE. One other thing I've been mulling over - is it
> possible to get a cheap piece of hardware (i.e. a dongle of some sort)
> that you can put an X509 certificate on? If so, could anyone point me
> in the direction of a company that provides such a product?
> Regards
> Denis
>
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM, David Stutzman
> <dstutz.m...@nospam.dstutz.com> wrote:
>> Denis McCarthy wrote:
>>>
>>> customers use. On this application, it is important to identify the
>>> physical machine on which a transaction takes place. In most of our
>>
>>> b) The application is currently multi platform, but all our users use
>>> windows (because that is what the application we are replacing runs
>>> on). If we have to, we can stipulate that our users must use windows