On 3/20/09, Daniel Stenberg <dan...@haxx.se> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, Nelson B Bolyard wrote:
>
> It would be inappropriate for NSS to defeat sigpipe's signal handler. The
>> handling of that signal is the responsibility of the application, or code at
>> a higher level than NSS.  Perhaps it would be appropriate for libcurl to do
>> that.
>>

> SIGPIPE is a signal and signals are dreaded in multi-threaded apps in
> general. What useful purpose does it serve the users of NSS?
>
> libcurl protects all its own uses of socket functions against generating
> SIGPIPE, and it makes all libraries it use to do the same to the extent they
> allow. Mostly because we don't see any point in them. If NSS had a way to
> make them stop, libcurl would use it. Does it?
>
> And if its "inappropriate for NSS to defeat sigpipe's signal handler", why
> isn't it the same for libcurl? And if it is, the responsibility comes to the
> application and then you get the mix of signals and threads.
>
> --
>
>  / daniel.haxx.se
> --

His question of does it is exactly my question.
Sadly seeing that Firefox itself has at times has shared my exact problem,
I am not so confident in fixing:
Program received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe.
[Switching to Thread -1409303664 (LWP 22988)]

Does anyone have any knowledge of the status of NSS's
broken pipe handling or an alternative approach
to handling a sigpipe in ssl and libcurl multi threaded.

John