From: "Eddy Nigg" <eddy_n...@startcom.org>
Newsgroups: mozilla.dev.tech.crypto
To: <dev-tech-crypto@lists.mozilla.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2009 20:07
Subject: Re: client certificates unusable?

On 03/22/2009 07:58 PM, Nelson B Bolyard:
> Each product has one way to install PKCS#11 modules.  All modules are
> installed in that product by that method, whatever it is.  In Firefox,
> you go to the Options dialog (exact method varies by platform, on Windows
> you find Options in the Tools menu) select the "Advanced" tab, and the
> "Encryption" sub-tab, then click "Security Devices".  This brings up the
> "Device Manager" dialog which lists the PKCS#11 modules you have installed,
> and the "devices" (called "tokens" in PKCS#11 speak) or "slots" (for
> pluggable tokens) that are managed by each module.  In that dialog, the
> "Load" button brings up a misnamed "Load PKCS#11 Device" (should be module)
> dialog.  There, you type in the name of the shared library (DLL, Dylib, or
> .so) which is the PKCS#11 module, and you enter a name by which you want to
> remember that module (it will be displayed in the device manager dialog),
> and click OK.  Voila.

This long explanation shows what could be improved. I liked the idea of
scanning for PKCS11 modules, but there certainly must be an easier way
than the above. Hope Johnathan takes note on this one.
> As it happens, I do not believe that UI issues for client auth are the BIG
> stopper of client auth.  Sure, I agree that UI could be improved, but
> before you get to experience those UI issues, you must actually have a cert
> and a server that you think might accept that cert as authenticating you.
> Today, few such servers exist.  I think the absence of a single uniform
> user ID space is actually a greater impediment than UI.  That's why I find
> Eddy's idea (if I understand it right) of using OpenID identities as that
> single space, and using certs to authenticate them, is so intriguing.
>
> When we get to the point where there are more users trying to use certs,
> and the average common Joe FF User is whining about cert UI in the
> ordinary FF user groups (rather than here in these esoteric back waters)
> THEN the FF UI folks will sit up and take notice.

Unfortunately we can't do it all alone by ourselves and those who I have
approached - which could make a difference have so far ignored it. I
have some quite concrete papers for a raw plan on research and newly
design for this space.

Signer: Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.
Jabber: start...@startcom.org
Blog:  https://blog.startcom.org