On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Anders
Rundgren<anders.rundg...@telia.com> wrote:
> PKCS #10?  I guess you really meant PKCS #11.
>
> I'm not aware of any such profile.  There is smart card profile
> but I doubt it has much to do with PKCS #11, it is rather about
> 7816.

You're right, PKCS#11.

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/EH_MR_rev1.pdf

But what is "7861"?

> Anyway, the way Firefox is linked to PKCS #11 is probably OK
> in Linux-land.
>
> However, in Windows-land where 80% of all users live it doesn't fill
> the bill.

If it's a standard component, with a standard interface, then there's
no reason at all for the OS not to support it.  I just don't have any
USB devices which support that profile to test.

> BTW, we still don't have a credible system for *remote* provisioning of
> smart cards on any OS, so we shouldn't expect too much progress here
> because PKCS #11 can't do that job actually!

There are multiple reasons why we can't do that job:

1) There is no "credible remote provisioning" because there's no
"credible third-party manufacturer" or "third-party trusted authority"
that banks will allow.
2) There is no "credible remote provisioning" protocol.
3) There is no desire at/for the bank to allow smart-card login,
because there are alternatives that are more useful.

(For example, Bank of America will text my celphone an RSA
SecurID-like number whenever I try to log into my account.  This shows
two separate types of authentication: something I know and something I
have.  Unless both the phone and the network are both tapped and
redirected by Mallory, it's unlikely to be a problem.  And, let's face
it: the US government has access to my financial records anyway.)