On 2009-09-24 21:07 PDT, Adriano Bonat wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm trying to sign a Firefox extension (XPI) using a code signing
> certificate bought from GoDaddy, but Firefox is rejecting the XPI file
> saying "signing could not be verified. -260".

It said -260?  That's not an NSS or NSPR error number.

> Here are the steps that I'm following to sign the file:
> 1. Tried to install the GoDaddy/Starfield intermediate certificate but
> browser says that it is already installed;
> 2. I install the code signing certificate, it shows OK in the "Your
> certificates" tab in Firefox' preferences;
> 3. I'm using Mac OS X 10.6.1, and installed package "nss" from
> MacPorts, so using nss-certutil on my Firefox 3.5 profile dir:

What is the version of NSS that you got from MacPorts?
Is it 3.11.4?  3.12.0 ?  3.12.3 ?  Other?

> $ nss-certutil -d . -L

Try it again with an additional parameter, which is    -h all
You'll get about 150 more lines of output, with a lot more trust flags,
I expect.

> Certificate Nickname                                 Trust Attributes
>                                                      SSL,S/MIME,JAR/XPI
> VeriSign Class 3 Extended Validation SSL CA                  ,,
> Thawte SGC CA                                                ,,
> UTN-USERFirst-Hardware                                       ,,
> VeriSign Class 3 Secure Server CA - G2                       ,,
> Akamai Subordinate CA 3                                      ,,
> Entrust Certification Authority - L1B                        ,,
> Google Internet Authority                                    ,,
> VeriSign Class 3 Secure Server CA                            ,,
> PositiveSSL CA                                               ,,
> Go Daddy Secure Certification Authority                      ,,
> DigiCert Global CA                                           ,,
> COMPANYNAME LLC's Starfield Technologies, Inc. ID            u,u,u
> GlobalSign Extended Validation CA                            ,,
> VeriSign Class 3 Extended Validation SSL SGC CA              ,,
> VeriSign, Inc.                                               ,,
> Microsoft Internet Authority                                 ,,
> Starfield Secure Certification Authority                     ,,
> RSA Public Root CA v1                                        ,,
> Sun Microsystems Inc SSL CA                                  ,,
> DigiCert High Assurance EV CA-1                              ,,
> GlobalSign                                                   ,,
> UTN - DATACorp SGC                                           ,,
> Microsoft Secure Server Authority                            ,,
> UniCERT Certificadora                                        ,,
>
> Why all certificates (except the one that I installed) don't have
> trust attributes? This lead me to a problem when signing the file:

Because they're almost all intermediate CA certificates, not root CA
certificates, or they _should_ be.  As a general rule, trust flags are
only put on roots, not on intermediates. however, there are some exceptions.

> $ nss-signtool -d . -l
>
> Object signing certificates
> ---------------------------------------
> COMPANYNAME LLC's Starfield Technologies, Inc. ID
>     Issued by: Starfield Secure Certification Authority
>     Expires: Mon Sep 19, 2011
>     ++ Error ++ THIS CERTIFICATE IS NOT VALID (Certificate Authority
> certificate invalid)
> ---------------------------------------
> For a list including CA's, use "signtool -L"

This is why I asked what version of NSS you're using.  There were some
gross bugs in signtool versions before 3.12.3

> To get the file signed, I'm "cheating" and changing the trust
> attributes of the GoDaddy/Starfield Secure Certification Authority to
> ",,C".

Try ",,c", that's lower case c, instead.
And don't be so sure that's cheating. :)

> Anybody has an idea what is the problem here?

Finally, what command line options are you using in your signing attempt?
You will want both -X and -Z to make a signed XPI file.

> Thanks.
> - Adriano Bonat

/Nelson