Initializing SunPKCS11 for utilization of NSS 3.11.4 capabilities
yields the following exception:

java.security.ProviderException: Could not initialize NSS
        at sun.security.pkcs11.SunPKCS11.<init>(SunPKCS11.java:183)
        at sun.security.pkcs11.SunPKCS11.<init>(SunPKCS11.java:90)
        at test.TripleDESTest.main(TripleDESTest.java:112)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: The specified version of NSS is
incompatible, 3.7 or later required
        at sun.security.pkcs11.Secmod.initialize(Secmod.java:190)
        at sun.security.pkcs11.SunPKCS11.<init>(SunPKCS11.java:179)
        ... 2 more

The version I am using is greater than 3.7, despite what the exception
says. I am looking to use the FIPS 140-2 certified symmetric key
algorithms in this library.

I am using the following configuration:

name = NSScrypto
attributes = compatibility
nssLibraryDirectory = ./lib
nssDbMode = noDb
nssModule = fips

I am adding the cryptography provided dynamically with the following
code:

String configName = "nss.cfg";
Provider cryptoProvider = new sun.security.pkcs11.SunPKCS11
(configName);  // exception occurs on this line
Security.addProvider(cryptoProvider);

Has anyone else run into this issue or have any insight into the
problem?

If this doesn't work out I will look into direct utilization of JSS.

Thanks!