Rob Stradling wrote:
Frank, I'm pretty sure you meant to say Certicom (who are now owned by RIM) rather than Entrust. (Perhaps you were thinking of Entrust's CRL Distribution Points patent, a license for which was granted to Mozilla relatively recently?)

D'oh! You are correct, I was thinking of Entrust and CRLDP. As far as I can tell the inclusion of ECC into NSS was based on NSS implementing non-patented ECC techniques.

Certicom have said that their desire is "to facilitate the wide-scale adoption and proliferation of Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) technology" and that they "will, upon request, provide a nonexclusive, royalty free patent license, to manufacturers to permit end users (including both client and server sides), to use the patents..."

https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1154/
http://www.certicom.com/images/pdfs/certicom%20-ipr-contribution-to-
ietfsept08.pdf

I hadn't seen these documents previously. Note that they date from after the implementation of ECC functionality in NSS, which I believe was done in 2006 in the Firefox 2 timeframe.

Does anybody know if Mozilla/NSS has actually requested and obtained a nonexclusive, royalty free patent license from Certicom/RIM?

To my knowledge Mozilla has not; I can't speak for Sun or Red Hat.

Note that the general problem with these licenses is that they typically apply only to the original licensee (e.g., Mozilla, if we were to get a license) and don't in and of themselves permit downstream licensees of the open source code to practice the patent themselves with respect to derivative works of the open source code. This is a major obstacle with respect to using such patents in open source products. I'm not a lawyer, but I strongly suspect that the current form of the Certicom license would be judged incompatible with the patent grant language in the MPL, GPL, and LGPL.

If so, the near-term chances of our being able to use such patents in the context of NSS is slim to none. We may have to wait until the patents expire or until Certicom further loosens the license language (which depends on its own business interests, of course).

Frank

--
Frank Hecker
hec...@mozillafoundation.org