Thanks for the clarification.  So, by calling CERT_GetDefaultCertDB(), I get
a handle to some type of pseudo-certificate database when initializing with
NSS_NoDB_Init?  Does this guarantee that any key material stays inside a
third-party PKCS #11 module during certificate and cryptographic operations?

Thanks,
Kai