On 2010-01-25 17:09 PST, tcma wrote:
> I downloaded mozilla192 source on kbuntu 9.10 and did "make -f client.mk".
> How to build incrementally at the security/nss/lib/pk11wrap directory?
> This result in a compile error:
> $ cd security/nss/lib/pk11wrap
> $ make
> Creating ../../../../dist/public/nss
> /bin/sh:
> ../../../coreconf/nsinstall/Linux2.6_x86_glibc_PTH_DBG.OBJ/nsinstall: not
> found
> make: *** [../../../../dist/public/nss] Error 127
>
> However, nsinstall exists in the objdir-ff-release/nss/

When Firefox builds NSS, it sets a bunch of environment variables, and
overrides a bunch of make variables on the command line to get make to use
a bunch of different directories than NSS's Makefiles use in stand-alone
NSS builds.  I believe you need to find and capture the environment and the
command line for the build of NSS done by Firefox in your tree, then use
that when you attempt incremental builds of NSS.   When you just cd into NSS
directories and type make, without duplicating the environment and command
line used by Firefox, you're building NSS as a stand-alone build, which
builds it differently, expecting things to be in different directories.

The NSS doesn't directly support Firefox's mode of building NSS.  The NSS
team supports stand-alone builds of NSS.  Mozilla's Firefox developers
support the modified builds of NSS done by Firefox.  There's a separate news
group for discussing Mozilla build problems.  It's mozilla.dev.builds.

Alternatively, you can just do stand-alone builds of NSS that are not part
of Firefox at all.  cd mozilla/security/nss; make nss_build_all

NSS standalone builds use environment variables for configuration.  Read
about them in