On 1/31/10 9:51 PM, John J. Barton wrote:
> The Mccoy program,
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/McCoy
> can sign update.rdf files. It has a dll to support the signature work. I
> wonder if something has improved in the firefox code base since the time
> Mccoy was written, such that the signature work can now be done without
> the dll. I would like to support signatures in an extension I am
> writing, but I can't distribute the dll with the extension, and the dll
> is not available outside of the Mccoy program.

The DLL is just a shim to the underlying NSS functions. You could
write your own shim and its functions would look remarkably like the
ones in McCoy.

Firefox is working on adding CTypes so binary libraries can be
called directly from privileged javascript without having to create
a binary shim, but the NSS API uses a lot of structures as
arguments. I don't think CTypes helps in this case. In any case
that's trunk-only, it hasn't shipped yet.

If you ship the libraries from the McCoy app without any source
changes then complying with the license should be as simple as
incorporating any BSD-with-advertising-clause code. You just say
you've incorporated the McCoy code and source is available at
http://hg.mozilla.org/projects/mccoy.

-Dan Veditz