> This does not mean that the certificate verification mechanics are at
> fault;
> it only means that CA selection protocol has not been thought out properly:
> it limped along with a handful of CAs, it is showing the serious symptoms
> of the malaise with hundreds. In the meantime, does anybody here have any
> estimate of the number of CAs we expect to be around in the foreseeable
> future? And what was the number of CAs anticipated when the current
> anointment protocol was conceived?

I think it's more subtle than that, some of the problems in brief:

1) Mozilla/Firefox either trust a CA 100% or not at all.
2) Since I can't adjust trust or have Firefox warn me that I'm viewing a
site using a certificate I don't completely trust I can either remove the
root certificate, and then encounter unknown certificates and deal with
that, or I can manually look at EACH certificate I encounter and figure out
who signed it and whether or not I trust them enough (I might trust a site
that I simply read, but not to enter my credit card # for example).
3) It's very difficult even for technical users to find out who exactly
signed a certificate. For example a certificate is signed by "valicert", who
is that? (Tumbleweed bought Valicert and then Axway bought Tumbleweed, who
the heck is Axway and what exactly do they do?). Or a certificate is signed
by beTrust, who is that? (which joined up with Baltimore cybertrust to form
Cybertrust, and in turn Verizon purchased the whole thing.).
4) CAs are generally not restricted in whom they can issue certs to, i.e.
governmental CA's (Turkey, Holland, Denmark, etc.) are not restricted to
issuing certs within .tk, .nl, .dk for example (there are good arguments for
and against this, but I think it should at least be discussed, and I'd love
to see a bit more user control over this).
5) There is no way for an end user to really verify the CPS/CS stuff, most
CAs seem to publish them online, quite a few are out of date by several
years
6) There appears to be no re-evaluation for CA's that are bought out or
merge with other CAs
7) There are several suspicious and questionable looking CA's
in Mozilla/Firefox, e.g.: Internet Publishing Services from Spain, they have
7 certificates, what possible need is there for 7 certificates?
8) The CA approval protocol appears to be largely fail open, they submit
paperwork showing they comply with certain standards/etc at a certain time
point and then there is a public comment period (where exactly?) and if
no-one objects they are in.
9) there is no formal process to revoke certificates for a CA that violate
the rules. Heck theres no official set of rules for them to break (one
signed malware code, on hundred signed malware codes? a provably weak domain
authentication process that allows people to buy certificates for domains
they don't own reliably, etc.).
10) I'm not even sure whom exactly  to contact about these issues or to
report security problems with respect to a CA doing bad things (so I've been
lurking on the list for a bit and am now posting).

I've also seem these topics raised in this forum, Bugzilla, etc. and nothing
much come of them which is what I expect to happen here sadly. One simple
question I'd love to see answered: who exactly is in charge of this and what
exactly do they do (it seems that certificate approval duty floats around
between a few people).

-Kurt