Eddy Nigg wrote:
Isn't this actually a sign that the technology works? I mean, 100% false
positives means literally 100% success.

Shit no !

The higher the false positive rate, the more acute the failure.

People will trust and respect the warning *only* if there's a very low rate of false positives, down to the point where it *could make sense* to tolerate a few false negative *if* that's the only way to make sure they are sufficiently few false positives to get user to trust the warnings when they do appear.

Yes, the average users Firefox 3+ don't know how to work around the warnings, but they just start IE to get to the site instead. At the end of the day, the failure to protect them is exactly the same.

I was running an old Firefox 2 version recently, and well it made it again obvious the modified SSL warning are a failure.

Firefox 2 tried to explain the error to user, which even if *really* far from perfect, at least made it often possible to understand why the Firefox was wrongly raising an error, so was better in term of the user trusting the report, and not just starting IE to get to the site instead.