Today I read some technical documents at http://www.torproject.org which is a project that tries to enhance anonymity of Internet users, or allow Internet users to circumvent censorship.

With Tor, your outgoing connections will be routed (using encryption) to a chain of random Tor servers, until a Tor exit node will perform your desired connection to the intended destination.

Let's speculate there might be a CA that has been forced to work with some secret service to issue false certificates (this has been recently described as "compelled CAs").

Until now, I had assumed, the effect of such an abuse of CA powers would be geographically limited.

If a secret service (or a government agency) were able to control Internet traffic from all users in a geographic area (or all customers of an ISP) so that it were routed through some gateway device, and the gateway used a compelled certificate to allow for sniffing, the affected Internet users would still be limited to the geographical area where the secret service is active.

But what would happen if the secret service decided to set up lots of TOR servers and exit nodes?

If they did, as a result, a percentage of Tor users from elsewhere on the planet would get routed through the remote spying gateway device, too, wouldn't they?

I've asked on the Tor IRC channel, and was told that a person running an exit node can manipulate all outgoing traffic in any way they wish, and that manipulated DNS settings on the exit node system would be effective for fulfilling outgoing requests of Tor users.

Although I had considered to use or support Tor, I'm worried that it might (theoretically) enable some unknown remote entities to spy on me, even if I use end-to-end-cryption (SSL). Am I paranoid, or are my thoughts making sense?

I'm worried that using Tor would be counterproductive if the compelled CA scenario were not hypothetical.

Maybe I should have posted this to a Tor newsgroup, but I believe it's of interest to this group as well, and I'll make the Tor developers aware of this post.

Regards,
Kai