On 2010-07-01 18:10 PDT, james07 wrote:
> I'm importing the key pair into the browser's soft token.
>
> I can see that the cert8.db and key3.db files in the profile directory are
> updated and I can also see the new certificate using certutil.exe -L.
>
> However when attempting to connect to a website that requires client SSL
> authentication in the same browser session (immediately following the import
> of the keypair), the browser does not seem to detect the new certificate. It
> is only after restarting Firefox that I can establish the mutual SSL session
> (and the imported certificate appears in Certificate Manager > Your
> Certificates)
>
> Is it possible to refresh the PSM cache while the browser is running?

I suspect that there may be another explanation for this behavior.
It *may* (or may not) be that FF is establishing a TLS session with the
server that is not client authenticated, and thereafter the server is
merely content to use that same session over and over, and it never
attempts to force the client to renegotiate a new SSL/TLS session.

A tool like ssltap would tell you if that is the explanation.  There's
another way to tell as a diagnostic step.  There is a way to get the browser
to completely flush its TLS/SSL session cache.  If you would
establish the TLS session without a client cert, then import your client
cert, and then flush all your TLS sessions, that would force the next TLS
connection to start a new TLS session.  You could do that test, manually
flushing your TLS session cache.  If that caused the client cert to be
used in a client authentication, then you would know that the server is
not continuing to demand client auth after the first time it negotiates
a TLS session with only server auth.

In the event that this test positively shows that continued reuse of old TLS
sessions that were established without client authentication explains the
behavior you see, I do NOT mean to suggest that additional flushing of the
client's TLS session cache is the solution.  It is only a diagnostic step.
If we know the cause of the problem, then we can discuss the NUMEROUS
different possible solutions.