On Aug 28, 10:08 am, Nelson Bolyard <nonelsons...@nobolyardspam.me>
wrote:
> On 2010-08-27 16:48 PDT, Michael Smith wrote:
>
> > We're not really looking for a "couldn't be compromised" solutions -
> > this is a requirement from a company we're partnering with, not our
> > idea, and they basically just want it to not be "simple" (for some
> > value of that) to compromise. So: serialising it to disk without some
> > sort of encryption isn't ok, and exposing it in exportable form in the
> > browser UI isn't ok.
>
> What is the real underlying objective of this?
>
> Is it to authenticate the individual user of the product to the servers?
>
> Is it to ensure that the client applications of the network service are
> genuinely those made by your "partner", and not some other client that
> has been made by some third party who reverse engineered your protocol?
> (e.g. as AOL used to try to ensure that only genuine AOL clients
> accessed the AOL Instant Messenger servers?)

Sorry for not being clearer.

Yes, the intent is to ensure that the client application is a
"legitimate" application, and to prevent others (even if the _user_ is
appropriately authenticated with username/password) from accessing the
servers.

i.e. Standard HTTP authentication is used to authenticate the user,
and an SSL client certificate is used to authenticate the application
binary. This is why I want to keep the certificate "secret" from the
user; it logically belongs to the application, rather than the more
typical use of client authentication, where the private key logically
belongs to the _user_.

> Is it something else?
>
> The use of public key certificates may not be the best way to accomplish
> your objective, or even an appropriate way at all, but we cannot determine
> that until we know what that objective is.

I'm pretty unconvinced that this is a sensible way to accomplish the
real objective, but unfortunately I've been given no choice - the
partner insists on this being the only acceptable way to access their
servers.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Mike