This is a resend.  Don't know why my previous copy went only to Marsh.
I intended it to go to the list as well.

On 2010-10-21 16:50 PDT, Marsh Ray wrote:
> On 10/21/2010 05:53 PM, Nelson B Bolyard wrote:

>> - Letting mozilla products become a playground for home-baked crypto
>> protocols.  That's a gate you'll find difficult to close once it is
>> allowed to be opened.
>
> Since when have Mozilla products not been a playground?

It IS a playground, in the sense that people can develop add-ons to do
whatever their hearts desire, and Mozilla actively encourages that.

I'm referring to the functionality in the base product, and particularly
to the security functionality in the base product.  Users expect that
Mozilla product security, out of the box (so to speak), with no add-ons
present, is going to be very good.

And once added, features are seldom removed.  Look at how long it is still
taking to get browsers to be secure with respect to renegotiation
out-of-the-box.  It's because users have become dependent on that bad
old stuff and won't let go, even if it's bad for them.

> Who put up a gate in the first place anyway?
>
> Would you really have app developers go elsewhere for bignums?

I'm talking about putting JBAKE (or whatever it is) into the base product.
That's the motive behind this request.  It's not for add-on developers.
It's because someone wants to put

> Do you really think it would inhibit anyone from baking with crypto?

I don't care about what people do with add-ons.  They're not even at issue
here.  I do care about what Mozilla offers to its users in the products
that bear its name, under the pretense of "security".

Security isn't about a pile of cool-sounding features.  It's about
assurances.  There are people within Mozilla who want to add to the
feature list, want to have more bragging rights, want to claim to be the
first with some new buzzword.  That's utterly harmless when the new
buzzword is some new UI feature that changes pixels on a screen, but
in the security space, more care is needed to maintain the assurances.

> I want my playground and Easy Bake crypto oven. Or, more precisely, it
> bugs me that an open project like Mozilla would restrict tools on the
> "too dangerous for mere mortals" principle.

Marsh, Most users have no idea, draw no distinction, among the various
security protocols, mechanisms, schemes used within a product like their
browser.  They have no idea where the responsibilities of a protocol end
and the responsibilities of the program's UI begin.  When their security
is violated, they just lump it all together.   That's why SSL/TLS keep
getting smeared for faults that are purely UI faults.

We read, monthly if not weekly, pronouncements in the press saying that
"SSL has failed" because users clicked past security warnings, or because
the browser was fooled by some clever web page content (e.g. JavaScript)
into displaying the wrong information to identify the source of that
content, or because badly-designed browser security UI, which is utterly
indistinguishable from web page content, is subverted to fool users into
taking actions that harm their own security, or simply because users
continue to fall for emails bearing dire warnings that appear to come from
their banks, that make them SO upset that they fail to notice the web page
into which they typed their bank password was NOT their bank's page.

None of these problems is in any way a fault of the SSL/TLS protocols, but
even readers of this group have tried to argue that they are.

So, when it comes to user security, Mozilla needs to take care about who
it lets into its bed.  One foul piece of "security" in the base product
will besmirch ALL the product's security features.

> <cheap_shot>
> So if Mozilla's got such high standards on authentication and such, they
> can put up even one add-on that doesn't say "(Author not verified)" in
> my browser:
>      https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/15003/
>      https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11950/
> </cheap_shot>

I don't think it's a cheap shot.  I'm not wild about that, either.
I think it does show, however, a difference in degree of care between
things that are offered as "products of Mozilla" versus "addons by
whomever".  That's appropriate, to some degree, in my opinion.

I'm just trying to ensure that the newest comer to Mozilla's security
development community is aware of some of these issues.

--
/Nelson Bolyard