Hello,

as far as I know, Thunderbird sends encrypted e-mails as an attachment named "smime.p7m". Can anybody let me briefly know what this file contains? I know this from previous e-mail conversation from this mailing list:

"The sender generates an ephemeral 3-DES key one for each receiver, then encrypts (wraps) each key using that receivers' RSA public key. In order to read a message, you have to decrypt (unwrap) the 3-DES key that was encrypted using your RSA public key. Then, you have to decrypt the messsage using the 3-DES key you just unwrapped."

Does that mean the p7m file contains multiple copies of the same message, each copy encrypted using a different key? Also, it looks like it contains some certificates. Unfortunately, the software I am using (ASN.1 Editor) doesn't read the p7m file despite the fact that it looks as a DER-encoded file at a first glance (even after removing the zero-byte padding).
Anyone can shed some light on the contents of "smime.p7m" ?
Thanks in advance,

M. Kurpel