On Mon, 2012-12-31 at 10:38 -0500, Eitan Adler wrote:
> * user gets confused: "what the heck is this screen"?

It's good if users are educated what is going on.

We could have a switch to completely turn this off, if the user really
doesn't care.

> * user realizes that pressing yes usually works so just clicks
> "accept" without reading

They can do that. Because the system would remember choices, the amount
of times it's shown is limited.

> * user annoyed - "Why did I have to click yes all the time. I'll
> switch to Internet Explorer."

Users had switched to Firefox in the past of better security features,
so I'm not convinced that consequence is certain.

> What value was added?

If user lives in country A, and the user's bank resides in country A,
and suddenly the user's bank uses a CA from a country in a small country
elsewhere in a planet, the user has a chance to notice a potential
mis-issue or hacked CA.

Note the system would remember choices.

For example, users could click "trust country US to certify domains
in .de", and for any future visis of .de domains, they would only ever
get notified again, if suddenly a chinese CA has issued the cert for a
german site.

Kai