Platform/OS: CentOS release 6.3 (Final)
Linux xxxxx 2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 22 12:19:21 UTC 2012 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/LinuxLinux

NSS Version:
nss.x86_64                            3.13.3-6.el6
nss-softokn.x86_64                    3.12.9-11.el6
nss-softokn-freebl.x86_64             3.12.9-11.el6

Problem:
We have a Java7 application that uses NSS (with FIPS mode enabled) for RSA
based crypto operations via SunPKCS11 Java abstraction.

The RSA key pairs and corresponding X.509 certs are generated and stored within
NSS from Java application using SunPKCS11 APIs.

What I am noticing is that key3.db file size grows with operations like RSA key
lookup/encryption/decryption (running in FIPS mode) over a period of time with
in the context of number of crypt operations. Typically I have observed that
the file size grows in chunks of 4K bytes with just roughly 35/40
encryption/decryption operations.

Why would key3.db file increase in size when nothing is being requested to be
stored and the only operations that are being performed are - lookup or
encryption/decryption. Does NSS store something within the database (key3.db)
as part of cryption operations?

NOTE: FYI, no change in size is observed in cert8.db file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if any other piece of information would be helpful in
figuring out what might be going on.

Regards,
Prax