On 09/27/2013 08:52 PM, From Ryan Sleevi:

How do you deal with this in other browsers?

Well, I don't...so far :-)

However I'm aware of similar capabilities with IE.

What are the specific features that you need?

Detection of smart card removal or insertion.

Can you think of other ways that might be able to accomplish your goals
without introducing browser-specific APIs to the open web?

Maybe an extension, not sure.

Have you considered approaching the WHATWG or W3C to actually see this
adopted as part of the Web Platform, rather than relying on legacy,
browser-specific solutions that are not standardized, interoperable
behaviour?

No, since it works for us there was never a desire for such a punishment. Besides that I'm not a browser vendor really.

Signer:  Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.
XMPP:    start...@startcom.org
Blog:    http://blog.startcom.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/eddy_nigg