On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Rasj <rasj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where are others? For example:
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256 (0x3d)

See https://briansmith.org/browser-ciphersuites-01.html. Also, please
look at the archives of this mailing list. There have been several
DOZEN of emails about the cipher suite selection on this mailing list.

in particular: "This proposal does not include the new HMAC-SHA256 or
HMAC-SHA384 ciphersuites that were added in TLS 1.2 since there is not
a clear need for them. Given our current understanding, HMAC-SHA-1,
HMAC-SHA-256, and HMAC-SHA-384 are all more-or-less equal in terms of
security given how they are used in TLS. (This is HMAC-SHA, not plain
SHA. Also, there is a huge difference in the ability to resist an
offline attack vs. the ability to resist an online attack.) Avoiding
these ciphersuites also allows us to sidestep the possibility of
performance regressions from enabling TLS 1.2."

> Many web-sites have only TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256 as kind of
> strong(even without PFS) and weak RC4 and 3DES.

Please provide some examples of such sites.

Some of the information in my proposal is outdated. For example, it
seems like we don't have constraints on handshake size, since we've
discovered workarounds for those compatibility issues. So, we have
more flexibility to add these cipher suites than we previously did.

My main thought here is that these cipher suites aren't really
increasing security, but they are decreasing performance, when they
are used. We should advocate instead for cipher suites that increase
security and increase performance. That means, for example, cipher
suites that waste fewer bytes per record on nonces and padding. See
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-agl-tls-chacha20poly1305-04 for an
example of what I mean.

More generally, the CBC-HMAC mode of cipher suites is outdated and
should just be replaced. We have to support the older variants for
backward compatibility, but I don't see much reason, right now, to add
support for the new, less efficient, no-more-secure, variants.

Cheers,
Brian
--
Mozilla Networking/Crypto/Security (Necko/NSS/PSM)