On 09/03/14 22:59, Raphael Wegmann wrote:
What about creating a distributed hash-table, where we could count
collectively, which public-key has been used by a particular server
how often?
When I visit amazon.com and my browser tells me, that I am the only
one who got that public-key I'm having, I know immediately, that
I am not really communicating with Amazon.

If an MITM attack is pointing you at a fake Amazon, how are you going
to ensure the same attacker isn't going to show you a fake hash-table?

One possible answer is certificate pinning, but if you've used
Amazon.com before, certificate pinning can warn you it's using a
different key (and different CA) from last time without the table.

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Certificate_and_Public_Key_Pinning
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-websec-key-pinning/
https://www.imperialviolet.org/2011/05/04/pinning.html
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Features/CA_pinning_functionality