On 05/30/2014 11:55 AM, Jonathan Schulze-Hewett wrote:
> Another bit of oddness. I can put the PKCS#11 device into "read only" mode
> where it only supports CKS_RO_PUBLIC_SESSION and CKS_RO_USER_FUNCTIONS
> states and asserts the CKF_WRITE_PROTECTED flag. In this state Firefox
> attempts to call C_CreateObject to create an ECC public key on the device
> which fails. Firefox returns sec_error_bad_signature to the user in this
> case stating "Peer's certificate has an invalid signature."
RO only affects Token objects.

> Perhaps I misunderstand the meaning of those state and flag values and that
> read only/write protected means that callers can still make objects as long
> as CKA_TOKEN=false?
yes, those are ephemeral objects. In general, read only tokens need to
be to create those (sometimes explictily, like C_CreateObject, sometimes
implicitly, like C_Derive or C_Unwrap). These objects disappear if the
token is 'powered down', shutdown, removed, or all the sessions are
closed. Token objects stay on, thus require tokens that can be writeable.

bob