I posted this same question in the Apache group, but it's a hybrid of
Apache+NSS.

We changed our NSS database to use the newer sqlite certificate store. We
modified wsgi-sfapi.conf from:

NSSCertificateDatabase /etc/httpd/alias

NSSCertificateDatabase sql:/etc/httpd/alias

Restarting the server showed errors:

"Unable to change directory to sql:/etc/httpd/alias"

and

NSS_Initialize failed. Certificate database: /etc/httpd/alias.
SSL Library Error: -8038

Double checked permissions they are all the same prior to the change:

-rw-r----- root apache cert9.db
-rw-r----- root apache key4.db

Not sure what the issue is. (Working again since we reverted to the old storage
database, but we'd like to move up to the sqlite flavor)