Hi Gregory,

Using PROTOCOL_SSLv23 with OP_NO_SSLv2 | OP_NO_SSL3 | OP_NO_TLSv1 |
OP_NO_TLSv1_1 is the correct way to do things in Python (of all versions)
-- as you note the OP_NO_TLSv1_1/1_2 constants aren't available in older
Pythons though.

Luckily (unluckily?) these constants are really just integers we directly
expose from OpenSSL, so it's safe to just hardcode the integer values, I
don't believe OpenSSL has ever changed them. (If you're feeling
particularly paranoid you can check that the OpenSSL version matches
particular ABIs you've checked and only use the hardcoded values there). A
bit ugly, yes, but should work fine.

Ciphersuites are a slightly more interesting case. The biggest issue I see
with sending a very liberal ClientHello and then erroring out based on
what's negotiated is that it fails more often than necessary. Specifically,
it fails whenever the server prioritizes accepting something nonsensical
from the client. Unfortunately tons of servers have silly configurations;
where they support both good and bad ciphers, and prioritize the bad ones!

Alex