On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 5:44:34 AM UTC-7, David Teller wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
>  I'm sorry I can't answer your questions. I haven't heard of any
> regression, but I don't think we perform regular testing on RPi. Do you,
> by any chance, have profiles for both versions? I can't promise that
> someone will have time to look at them, but if someone does, it would be
> helpful.
>
> Cheers,
>  David
>
> On 5/16/17 3:18 AM, nathanrogers--- via dev-tech-js-engine-internals wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I work on a project called Cobalt (cobalt.foo), it is an application
> > container designed to run web apps (namely youtube.com/tv) on embedded TV
> > devices.  We use SpiderMonkey as our JavaScript engine, and are currently
> > in the process of rebasing from SpiderMonkey 24 to SpiderMonkey 45.  On our
> > application specific benchmarks, which measure input latency, which
> > effectively measures total JavaScript execution time, we are noticing a
> > performance regression of about 40% when running in interpreted mode on a
> > Raspberry Pi 1, which is our reference low end platform.
> >
> > While we plan on investigating as much as possible on our side as well, I
> > would like to ask, is a performance regression of this magnitude to be
> > expected?  Our configuration of SpiderMonkey, HTML application, and
> > bindings code are all held about as constant as they can be.  If yes, then
> > are there any high ROI configuration (or even code) changes that we can
> > make in order to best mitigate this, and if no, then in what areas should
> > we begin looking into first?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Nathan

Hello David,

Thanks for being able to look into this.  In the drive folder below is
profiling data (out.perf) from running the perf tool
(http://www.brendangregg.com/perf.html) for 10 seconds while vertically
scrolling on youtube.com/tv, as well as a flame graph
(http://www.brendangregg.com/flamegraphs.html) generated directly from out.perf
(graph.svg), and a flame graph filtered to isolate JavaScript (jsonly.svg).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxoS5eVaXrQJXzFhTXM0Q2lURWc

Thanks,

-Nathan