On the one hand the MIPS port introduces a number of complexities in the
JITs that would disappear with the port (MIPS atomics are a pain point for
me because they are more limited than on our other platforms and need more
registers) and I would welcome that.

On the other hand, those changes are more painful to put back in than they
are to take out and they're currently a sunk cost anyway, so we had better
be sure MIPS is not coming back.  I'm not completely sold on that; MIPS is
going openish-source (mipsopen.com) and may see a resurgence.  Indeed if
you asked me to pick between open-source MIPS and RiscV I would probably be
most tempted to go for MIPS.

That said, somebody would have to support the JITs and the last year or
more we've had very few contributions, so I'm generally sympathetic to
removal.  And on the third hand, it might be easier to re-introduce a MIPS
port via Cranelift.

--lars