I’m not sure your exact use case is possible in 1.3 since SMS API or mobile
connection information is not available to third-party apps.

The only other thing I could suggest would be to use a web activity to bring up
the Communications App to send an SMS, but not sure if this really suits your
proposed use case.

var activity = new MozActivity({
  name: "new",
  data: {