On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 3:18 PM, John Vines <vi...@apache.org> wrote:
> So perhaps we should have ISO-8859-1 as the standard. Mike- do you see any
> reason to use something beside ISO-8859-1 for the encodings?

I object and caution against *any* plan that involves transcoding from
X to UTF-16 and back where when the data is not always going to be
valid bytes of encoding X. The only clean solution here is to have an
API entirely in terms of bytes, and either let the user do getBytes if
they want to store string data, or provide additional API.